Hi everyone! This post is a couple weeks late, but I had the chance to spend time with B, D, and Baby P individually this past week. It was such a fun experience and I wanted to talk a little about that.
I started out the day with D. We started our outing with a trip to the library. While there we got books, played with puzzles, and played with toys they had there. After the library D and I went to Paradise Valley Burger Company for lunch. D loves cheeseburgers and she devoured it in minutes! We had such a great experience while eating lunch. The guys at Paradise Valley Burger Company drew a smiley face on her burger in ketchup, which she loved! According to her “she felt happy after eating her burger.” It really was such a fun trip!
When we got home it was Baby P’s turn for some one-on-one time. She is a baby so it was not as big as D’s time. Baby P and I sat on the couch and read the new library books D and I got. She loved looking at all the colors, and loved looking at the unicorn book. However, by the time we got to the dog book she was totally over it, and ready for a nap!
B was the last one to have her time alone with me. She was not feeling well that day so we stayed in. B and I used our time to put together a Valentine’s Day craft. It took quite a bit of time to put the craft together, but it was a lot of fun!
Being able to spend time with each of the girls individually was such a great experience. It was a lot of fun for me and I hope for the girls too! What are some of your favorite kid friendly activities? Let me know in the comments below!
Hey everyone! I have seen a ton of reading challenges popping up for the New Year. Some of the lists had a ton of book topics and others had very few. I decided to make my own challenge of 12 topics that combined things from all the lists I saw. The topics on the list I created are below! I even wrote the books I plan to read next to them, if you need some ideas!
- A book of poetry, a play, or essay collection- I am choosing to read Diamonds +Hearts by Chris Siegfried and Desiree Hartsock
- A book on a bestseller list- I am choosing to read Capital Gaines by Chip Gaines. I found this book on the USA Today list.
- A book turned into a movie you’ve seen but haven’t read- There are a ton of books to come to mind, but I am choosing to read The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks.
- A book published in 2018- Even though it is not 2018 yet I already know that I plan on reading Single State of Mind by Andi Dorfman. I am currently finishing up her first book and I look forward to her new one!
- A book published the year you were born- I was born in 1993 so I plan on reading Little House on Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea MacBride. My dad used to read this series to me when I was younger so I am excited to read this again.
- A book recommended by a friend- I asked my best friend to suggest a book, and she suggested The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I have taken the quiz and I am really looking forward to reading the book!
- A book written by someone under 30- I am going to read Red Rising by Pierce Brown. With this one I am cutting it close, because his birthday is in January and he will turn 30. I am hoping to finish this before his birthday!
- A modern classic- I am going to read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I read this in high school and I am so excited to read it again!
- A book with bad reviews- For this I did a quick search on Goodreads, and decided to read Women Who Work: Rewriting the Rules for Success by Ivanka Trump. On Goodreads this book was given 2 ½ stars out of 5. I am interested to see what my take on the book will be.
- A book by an author with your first name- My name is Annmarie so after another search on Goodreads I decided to read the book The Happy Closet by Annmarie O’Connor. I never heard of this author before, but I am looking forward to reading her books.
- A modern retelling of a classic novel- There are so many retellings out there, but I am choosing to read Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope. This is a modern retelling of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility. I have never been a huge fan of Jane Austen so I am hoping the modern version will be a better fit for me!
- A children’s book- Being a nanny I am super stoked for this one. My favorite thing is to read books with “D”, “B”, and Baby P. I am not sure what we will read yet, but I am definitely looking forward to what it will be.
I am excited to participate in this challenge and I hope you will join me in reading through this challenge. There is a link below that you can print and keep track of your challenge progress! What books do you plan on reading in the New Year? Let me know in the comments!
Reading Challenge Document: file:///C:/Users/Annmarie/Downloads/2018%20Reading%20(1).pdf
Hey everyone! Today I want to talk about websites that have stories for kids. Today I was looking on Pinterest to see if I could find some websites or apps that “D” would like. I ended up finding a couple that were great!
The first app I want to talk about is the Read Me Stories app. This app is free to download, but does offer in app purchases. Read Me will have a new story every day. The story you get depends on which category you choose. “D” and I chose Tales of Adventure, so the book we read today was Is the Moon Made of Cheese? When opening the book two options popped up. One is to read the book by yourself and the second is to have the book read to you aloud. The first time we read the book I read it to “D”. She loved it so much that she listened to it again, this time with the app reading it to her. After every sentence that was read to her, she would repeat the same sentence back. This app was great! The one thing that I would change is that we have access to more books without having to pay for them all upfront!
The next thing I am going to talk about is a website. It is called Funbrain.com and it is awesome! This site offers books and games. “D” and I started out reading Gonk Wrecks Everything. “D” loved this story, because it was about a little monster that destroyed everything he played with. She thought it was so funny! After we finished the story she played a few of the learning games that the site offers. She really enjoyed funbrain.com!
The last thing I am going to mention is the YouTube channel, Storybook Nanny. This is such a great channel for your young children to watch. There are a ton of videos to choose from! Each video is of the Storybook Nanny reading a children’s story. “D” listened to five stories! They are not long videos, but they do entertain. A couple of the stories “D” listened to were Pinkalicious and No David! This is an amazing YouTube channel and I definitely recommend it for all your kids!
All of the things I mentioned were great resources and “D” loved them all! It is great, because not only does she get to play on my phone, but she is also learning something. She spent the rest of the afternoon talking about the stories she heard and was making jokes about things from the stories. Do you use any learning or reading apps? Let me know in the comments below!
This year I made it a goal to read more. In order to keep myself accountable I am going to do more book reviews. Today I am going to be focusing on The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines.
The Magnolia Story is about Chip and Joanna Gaines life as a newly married couple. The book leads up to the Gaines getting their show, Fixer Upper. Not only does the book have funny stories about when they dated and their marriage, but it also talks about the struggles they went through. Not only did they put their faith in each other, but they also put their faith in God. Throughout the book you see that they really had their struggles and they worked hard to make it to where they are today. They did not have things easy at the beginning and they went through a lot of struggles.
I loved reading this book! Once I finished reading this I immediately started reading the book again. The Magnolia Story is definitely worth the read. It is very relatable and you will find yourself smiling and laughing through this book. You will not regret reading this book!